After all this time, still alive! For some reason to me, if it’s not in 109, it’s pretty much dead; whether I’m the only one thinking this way or not, it’s time for a different frame of mind! Here’s the lowdown on all of the Gyaru brands that are still alive, starting with ANAP.
ANAP (and almost all of its sub-brands)
Is it worth buying currently? If you ever loved GARULA (ガルラ), then yes! A lot of their current (outerwear or bottom) pieces are very similar in style to Garula’s outerwear, which means you can easily compliment the pieces with D.I.A, RodeoCrowns, Co&Lu, and more!
- Faux Leather High Waist Shorts (available in black and brown), ¥1,595
- Backprint Twill Top (available in khaki, black, and green), ¥4,312
- Double Ring Ribbed Top (available in beige and black), ¥1,595
- Backprint Military Jacket (available in pink and mocha), ¥2,145
- Twill Long Skirt (available in ivory and black), ¥3,120
- Website: https://www.anapnet.com/anapgirl/
Is it worth buying currently? Unless you can fit into their measurements or are really into the hypebeast and 90’s trend, not really. If by some miracle you are able to fit into their measurements (which will cause you to have my endless admiration and jealousy), the brand is definitely still more colorful and in tune with its past brand concepts despite catering to young girls now.
Is it worth buying currently? First of all, ANAP MIMPI is the current resort brand, so it’s way more in tune with the original inspiration for 90’s / oldschool Gyaru and if easily accessible, one of the better options. The aesthetic is not over the top but does a really good job at maintaining the colors and overall base for what Gyaru back then would have jumped on (do I even make sense at this point?) However, if it’s easier for you to obtain brand like Hurley, Billabong, Volcom, etc., then it might just be better to go that route.
UPDATE: I’m officially 100% biased towards this brand because it’s soooo much cuter than the current trends for the US brands. Also, look at Yuminchu! Can I keep her? Can I be friends with her? 😍
- National Flag Knit Top, ¥2,695
- Tye Dye Zip Hoodie (shorts in Related Products), available in mix and purple, ¥2,900
- California Printed Tote Bag, available in ivory and black, ¥1,463
- Peacock Print Off-Shoulder Top, available in pink and green, ¥1,925
- Logo Embroidered Bucket Hat, available in green, beige, and black, ¥2,500
- Simple Overalls, available in orange and beige, ¥3,900
- Oriental Design Dress, available in red and mint, ¥3,080
- Rainbow Denim Pants, ¥2,695
Is it worth buying currently? Noooooope. Big nope. The primary model looks like she was made to emulate the typical fashion influencer with a mix of Kylie Jenner vibes. It’s a sexier alternative to Onee which does have some items that could work (if you want to really go into Ane style for example – whether that’s Ane Agejo or Ane [Ora]Gal), but you can easily find better items with fast fashion brands.
Is it worth buying currently? If you miss any aspect of 90’s / oldschool gyaru like manba, ganguro, amekaji, and brands like ALBA ROSA and Garula, then yes! Between the hibiscus print items, pineapple and surf style items, and the desert theme for a lot of these items… quite a few things are on my wishlist for the big move!
- Hawaiian Design Cushion Cover, available in brown and navy, ¥1,925
- Two-Pattern Mat, available in navy and light blue, ¥1,925
- Two-Pattern Vinyl Rug Mat, available in yellow or green, ¥1,771
- Hawaiian Design Blanket, available in brown and navy, ¥3,861
- Surfboard Stand Decoration, available orange, red, and blue, ¥1,463